Friday, December 12, 2008
Desk Jobs
I have had a "desk job" of some form for about 10 years or more. It wasn't always a 9 - 5 desk job, but I was definitely at a desk, on my butt, at a computer for at least one ongoing hour at a time. While many of us hate to say "I have a desk job," it's still our job, we may even enjoy some of it, and it does pay our bills. I sit on my butt most of the day in an office chair in a gray cubicle without much decor or flare. Many of us would like to live off of our creative spirit, or some of us already do, and sometimes that talent is actually embedded in what we do in that "horrible" desk job on an every day basis. Either way, my point is that I just don't understand the hatred toward all desk jobs. Many of those people without desk jobs are actually supported by those "lame" desk jobs. Maybe you're a field researcher. You may collect data, record notes, and then persist this data to some sort of technology/chart/comparison model. You may conduct your own data entry or even better, you may have a student or colleague to enter the research data...while sitting on their butt, at a desk, and in front of a computer. Say someone works for an environmental agency. Someone may sit on their butt and review credentials for his/her future colleagues, someone may sit on their butt and compile all of the research results, and someone else may sit on their butt for fundraising and development of the foundation/agency where someone works. Point is, there are some extremely grueling desk jobs out there, but maybe we should let those people sitting on their butts all day at those desk jobs be the desk jobs haters.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Bitter much? I've not heard the negativity towards desk jobs you describe. Now call centers for tellemarketers for example are evil :-p
ReplyDeleteyo yo whens the up date coming
ReplyDeletegot news or what
we are in the new year and i am seeking some new blogging!!!
love you know who the mommo'